Assistant Accountant

An assistant accountant provides support to internal and external customers and will work predominantly either as an assistant accountant within practice or alternatively, within the finance function of an organisation.

Key responsibilities may include: assisting in the day-to-day financial activities such as data entry, to month end management accounts, and/or year-end financial statements. In addition, they may find themselves involved in completing VAT returns or assisting tax computations. Roles may include, but are not limited to: Assistant Accountant, Trainee Accounting Technician, Accounts Clerk, Cashier, Finance Assistant.

Typically this apprenticeship will take 15-18 months to complete.

Apprentices will achieve an AAT Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting during this programme to cover the knowledge element of the apprenticeship standard. The Assistant Accountant apprenticeship is designed for a variety of individuals who work predominantly either as an assistant accountant within practice or within the finance function of an organisation. General responsibilities may include data entry, month-end management accounts, year-end financial statements, completing VAT returns, or assisting tax computations. The delivery of this standard comprises of the completion of a portfolio of evidence against the learning objectives, which will be completed throughout the programme, and the completion of the AAT Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting. AAT is an internationally recognised awarding body and gives candidates the practical skills they need to succeed in finance. The diploma can be delivered through day-release classroom sessions, online learning modules, or a combination of these depending on the individual’s and employer’s needs. There are 4 units and 1 synoptic unit, each will be assessed via an online exam at an approved AAT exam centre.

Entry requirements for this standard will be decided by each employer, however learners without a Level 2 or equivalent qualification in English and maths will need to achieve this prior to taking the end-point assessment. The AAT Advanced Diploma consists of the following units:

Advanced Bookkeeping
Management Accounting: Costing
Final Accounts Preparation
Indirect Tax
Ethics For Accountants
Spreadsheets For Accounting

Upon successful completion, candidates will achieve a recognised AAT qualification alongside the Assistant Accountant apprenticeship standard certification. End-Point Assessment is conducted in the final three months of the total qualification time and consists of the synoptic end-test completed in the AAT Advanced Diploma, a portfolio and a reflective discussion. The portfolio will comprise of evidence produced in the workplace to show that the candidate has met the knowledge, skills and behaviours learning objectives. The reflective discussion will be a structured interview to examine this evidence and the learner journey in more detail. The synoptic test accounts for 40% of the overall grade, and the portfolio with the reflective discussion accounts for the remaining 60%.